With a dynamic style that fuses influences from traditional British gardens and across the world, Hugh is a versatile designer who creates innovative, interesting, practical gardens based on sound horticultural expertise.
Hugh is based in Surrey and works throughout London and across the South of England. He trained in Garden Design at Merrist Wood College and, with a wide range of landscaping, nursery, garden maintenance and horticultural experience, he prides himself on his client-focussed, responsive approach. He is particularly keen on creating gardens which work with the surrounding environment and act seamlessly as an extension to the house, consequently often also enhancing its value. He comes with fresh ideas, yet a respect for tradition, and will work closely with you to realise the potential of your garden.
Hugh is fully insured with both Public Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Professional Diploma in Garden Design, Merrist Wood College, Guildford, Surrey.
- BA (hons) Degree in Archaeology and Ancient History, University of Bristol.
- Pre-Registered Member of the Society of Garden Designers - http://www.sgd.org.uk
- Coordinator of the Society of Garden Designers West Sussex Cluster Group
- Registered Member of the Gardeners Guild - http://www.thegardenersguild.co.uk
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Horticulture - CIH (ACIHort) - http://www.horticulture.org.uk
- Member of the Association of Professional Landscapers (Affiliate) - http://www.landscaper.org.uk
- Mrs S, Reigate, Surrey: "Your planting plan for my long border was full of great ideas and most professionally presented. Thank you!"
- Mrs Blunt, Dorking, Surrey: "Hugh is transforming my garden from overgrown and unkempt to structured and stylish, without spoiling its character. I would thoroughly recommend him for other garden rejuvenation projects."
- Mrs Cotrell, Dorking, Surrey. "Hugh worked with enthusiasm and flair and ensured that the area was kept clean and tidy throughout the works. I highly recommend him for design and build tasks whatever their size."
- Mr Dearmun, Horley, Surrey. "Hugh put my mind at ease, taking charge of and handling the project from start to finish. We discussed various designs before he completed the job efficiently and to a high standard. I would definitely recommend him."
- Mr & Mrs David, Farnham, Surrey: "Your design for our garden was well thought-out and full of interesting textures and different colours. We particularly liked the way you represented our love of travel in the garden, with different areas for different regions and countries. Your design gave purpose to our difficult garden - and the purpose-built chicken run was magnificent!"
- Mr & Mrs Spooner, Dorking, Surrey: "Thank you for a great job! The remit was for replacement steps to be safe, wide, sturdy and attractive, with handrails, designed in keeping with the rest of our established informal garden - this you have very nicely done. We are delighted with the result.
- Mrs Bobby Hodges, Reigate, Surrey: "Hugh has looked after my garden for just over a year and has improved it considerably. He is generous with his time, full of good ideas and very pleasant to have around."
- Mr & Mrs White of Wotton: "We are delighted with the new look to our garden. Hugh's plans were well thought out and his design and choice of plants are excellent."
- Ms Anne Tennant, Ashtead, Surrey: "Hugh recently designed and planted my front garden. He has done an excellent job despite the challenge of needing frost and deer-proof plants. The garden is developing beautifully - thank you.
- Mr & Mrs Slack, Dorking, Surrey: "Hugh has completed work on two gardens for us, both before and after we moved. In our old house he took out large bushes and trees and opened up the whole garden and did some re-planting and expanded an existing shed base for a new shed at the back of the garden. We worked together on the planting plan and were very happy with the result, which made our whole house much more attractive when we put it on the market. We were keen to have Hugh’s help with our new small garden. He did a lot of general tidying up then restructured an unattractive rockery so that we now have a new bed by the decking area and steps down onto the lawn. He also did a lot of work around the pond area and planted a beech hedge at the front of the house. We had the fun of going to choose the plants together with Hugh. We are delighted with the result as were all the wildlife that had moved in by the time we returned from holiday. We are aware that Hugh is very much in demand and feel fortunate that we have been able to have his guidance on the planning of our gardens on two separate occasions.
- Ms Groves, Dorking, Surrey: "I’m so pleased that a friend recommended Hugh. In an incredibly short time, he completely transformed my cluttered back yard into something gorgeous. I cannot speak highly enough of him not only as a designer, but also as a worker. Hugh arrived on time, worked non-stop, and helped to simplify the process in every way possible. The initial consultation was extremely valuable and I’m glad that I went along with all Hugh’s suggestions. I simply cannot believe the difference he’s made.”